Pages

Saturday, November 18, 2017

Mt. Sawi, Nueva Ecijia



Warning. This is a broken slash bitter story. Indeed a "sawi" experience in Mt. Sawi. (Ha ha)


Rain was drifting when we arrived at Malinao Elementary School, Gabaldon, Nueva Ecijia. It was 4:00 AM, the school was closed (as expected) and surrounding was eerie dark. While most of my companions including my husband were busy going around the vicinity to locate the registration area, I couldn't stop thinking about travel horror stories. I was honestly freaking out deep inside.

It took a while for us to locate the registration area which is only at the back of the school. Thank goodness for manong, a local who was strolling around the same area where we were. He pointed us to the Barangay Hall which also served as the jump-off point/wash area of those who wish to hike Mt. Sawi. We had a quick breakfast, left some of our clothes at the barangay hall and bravely proceeded to hike armed with our good old umbrellas. Rain continued to pour.


As we were immediately challenged by the ascending, thus muddy and slippery portions of Mt. Sawi, I felt I was fighting for my life. It was the darkest hours of my hiking life (ha-ha). The rain left us completely drenched. My body was in complete fatigue due to cold and rain, but I had to move. At the summit, the surrounding was covered with clouds. And wind was blowing pretty hard.


We stayed at the summit for few minutes then decided to descend due to incessant rain. I was chilling already. Lamigin kasi ako. He he


Our descent experience was one of kind. We were stranded at one point because the water current from the top of the mountain was so ridiculously intense. It almost looked like a waterfalls. Hence, it would be impossible for us to cross. Kuya tour guide was our life saver. He made a makeshift bridge out of tree branches and he tied it with, I dunno, some sort crawling twigs. But, anyway, we were able to cross the waterfalls. Yes! Kala ko ire-rescue na kami.



We finished the hike at 9:00 AM. We were supposed to go to Mt. Mapait afterwards but we all decided not to proceed due to heavy rain. We just spent the rest of the day eating at a local restaurant.


It was a solid "almost horrible hiking experience" in Mt. Sawi. But, part of me somehow felt it was exciting. I guess I really am a person who naturally seeks thrill and adventure. The last time I experienced cold and rain was when during our assault to Mt. Pulag's summit. Darn it was quite an intense moment. But, I am glad I didn't back out.

I guess the "it's the journey not the destination" saying is actually true.

PS:
Be careful in dealing with transportation vans at the bus terminal in Gabaldon, Nueva Ecijia. 

*Shoutout to Grace who had all the guts and energy to take photos amid cold and rain :) The photos I posted here belong to her.


Guide fee (Mt. Sawi) - Php300.00 per group of 10
Registration fee (Mt. Sawi) - Php20.00 per pax
Bus to Gabaldon (Five Star) - Php185.00
Van to Malinao Elementary School - Php90

Contact Person
Mt. Mapait: Brgy. Captain Tolentino Baltazar – 0920-8125946

No comments:

Post a Comment