Pages

Sunday, July 02, 2017

What To Wear and Bring for a Day Hike


I take day hiking seriously. I always believe that each mountain has its own charm and uniqueness. Thus, the hiking experience is different from the others. Some may find Mt. Pulag an easy climb, but to others it may be a gruelling experience. The key thing here is that one must prepare in order to survive the hike.
    
Regardless if the trails are deemed easy or challenging, I always make it a point that I am equipped with proper gears so I can fully enjoy hiking. I am no professional mountaineer, by the way. I just want to share with you my basic hiking essentials. So here's what I prepare for a day hike.

1. Water Supply

We all know that hiking is a physical activity. It's very important that I keep myself hydrated. I always bring at 1.5 - 2 litres of water with me. My husband bought my hydration bag through Ebay. It's very convenient and neat.

2.  Trail Food/To Go Food

Water is not enough to keep me moving. Trail food such as power bars, peanuts, beef jerkies, dried foods, candies or crackers are very helpful to maintain one's energy.  I love bite size version of chips or jellies. It's very handy and so easy to pull out in my hike bag. I just put everything in a nice ziplock bag and I am ready to go.

As for hikes where lunch packs are required, I do prepare my own. Hard boiled eggs, rice and canned tuna can all fit in one small lunch kit. Sandwiches also work for me.

3. Medicine and First Aid Supplies

Apart from basic first aid supplies, I always make it a point that I bring various types medicine so I can treat myself properly in case I feel discomfort along the way.  Some important medicines I bring are pain killers, antihistamine (for allergy), antidiarrheal, antiacid or antireflux (a super must for me all the time since I have acute gastritis),  decongestants and paracetamols (for potential colds, flu and fever). Chinese oils and ointments work wonders for me too!

3.  Clothing and Toiletries

My favorite combo is dry fit or light cotton tee and dark leggings. I am very comfortable wearing these as I can freely move all the way. I also wear protective sleeves. Not only it keeps my arms away from the direct heat of the sun, it also prevents me from irritable itchy feel I get from sharp-end leaves/plants along the trail.

For wash up, I also carry lightweight clothes, flip flops and Drylite Towel. All my toiletries are in travel sizes or sachets - shampoo & conditioner, toothbrush & toothpaste, deodorant, soap and lotion. I put these little ones in a ziplock along with tissue and alcohol.

4. Trail Shoes/Sandals

I invest in a good hiking footwear. Merrel is the brand that I can always depend on - tried and tested definitely. Good performing hiking footwear really makes a lot of difference in protecting my small feet and also my lower body from physical impacts brought by the trail.

5. Day hike bag

I bring a light bag with built in water compartment. My Wenger bag is roughly 12-15L which can accommodate all my day hike essentials. It very functional, lightweight and durable. It's also good to have a rain cover to protect your valuables in case it rains.

6. Trash Bag

I never leave a trace of garbage when I hike. I always bring black bag with me as there's no garbage bins in the mountains (we all know that!). I dispose my trash properly as a sign of respect to mother nature. As the saying goes, "Please take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but foot prints."

7. Rain Coat/Umbrella

Weather is unpredictable so its always good to prepare a light weight raincoat. If your bag has more space, squeeze in a lightweight umbrella.

8.  Head lights

I don't usually bring headlights unless the hike is scheduled to catch the view of the sunrise or sunset. But, yes it's an essential part of my hiking check list.

How I prepare before the hike:

1. Run/Do intense cardio workout at least 2 weeks before the scheduled hike. If you will not train yourself physically, chances are your body will go down the drain; to the point that you can no longer proceed with the hike.

2. I put on sun block before I leave the house. Yes! I do that. Your skin will thank you for that later on.  

I get excited every time I prepare for day hike because it's fun and challenging at the same time. If you intend to take hiking or climbing to the next level, there are sports or outdoor shops that you can visit so you can purchase mountaineering gears. I recommend you invest in good and trusted brands. It will surely benefit you along the way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment