Pages

Thursday, January 03, 2013

Surfing in San Juan, La Union

Photo credits to Elbert Malonzo


Surfing wasn’t exactly a part of my bucket list. I thought it was very difficult and "so so" ...but not until I experienced it myself. When I confirmed my attendance to La Union trip with my friends, I started searching the net for reviews and possible expenses. I also shopped for a new rash guard and proper board shorts (with a good garter grip! ha-ha) which are must-haves especially for newbies in surfing like me.

There are several surfing spots in the Philippines which are usually located in the provincial area. The famous ones I know are in Siargao Island, Surigao del Norte, Camarines Sur and Ilocos Sur, Baler, Quezon and San Juan, La Union. There are also surfing camps which offer surfing lessons and courses to fulfill your dream of becoming a "pro" surfer.



San Juan Surf Resort is a famous surfing spot in San Juan La Union. I found the place very relaxing, easy and tranquil. Food was sumptuous and alcohol were tagged with fairly reasonable price. Room and beddings were clean and the resort itself is strictly maintained.






with Luke Landrigan, owner of San Juan Surf Resort


A getaway to San Juan La Union is not complete without surfing. San Juan Surf Resort offers surfing lesson at P350.00 – P400.00 per hour. 


Surfing 101: parts of a surf board




I took one hour of surfing lesson which I truly enjoyed! I failed to balance on the surf board on my first attempt. But the second and succeeding attempts were victorious! Yeeeha! 


paddle failed. haha! 


balancing 




Itinerary

Day1
04:00 – Meet up at McDo Munoz, breakfast
04:30 – Depart from Metro Manila
11: 00– Arrival San Juan Surf Resort, La Union
12:00 – Lunch in San Juan Surf Resort
14:00 – Room checked-in, sleep/relax, socials
17:30 – Sunset photops
19:00 – Dinner
20:00 – Socials, sky lantern, drinks
21:00 – Lights out

Day 2
07:00 – Wake-up call
08:00 – Breakfast at the resort
09:00 – 10:00 – Surfing
10:00 – Pack-up
11:00 – Early lunch
12:00 – Check out
13:00 – Departure La Union






San Juan Surft La Union
Urbiztondo Beach, San Juan, La Union
sanjuansurfresort@yahoo.com
+639178803040

2 comments:

  1. Great photos! Surfing in La Union is the best alternate if you can't afford to go in Siargao. Learning to surf in La Union is very inexpensive for me. Thanks for sharing! More travels to come :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Josephine! Haven't visited Siargao though. But I'm sure its also fun to be there. :)

      Delete